Last weekend, we set up a pop up salon (and home) at Africa Utopia – the Southbank Centre’s festival celebrating Africa. During aunty aunty: the style consultation, we encountered over 300 people, gathering 8 hours of recorded personal stories to inspire our 2018 production.
We met friends and families, girls with blogs and women with braids; hoards of women sat in our chairs and generously shared their hair stories as well as their histories. Read artistic director, natalie ibu’s own hair journey in The Guardian.
Don’t worry, you haven’t missed the opportunity to play your part, we’re rolling out the next stage of development nationally with aunty aunty: the wash.
what they said…
what we did…
- 96 mini cans of pop given out
- 100 mini bottles of water drunk
- 8 hours of stories
- 364 people’s interest piqued
- 203.2 miles traveled
- 25 babies cooed over (mostly by natalie)
- 6 songs sung
- 3 actors, 1 director, 1 producer, 1 production assistant
- 5.5 metres of purple lino
- 1 LED sign borrowed from a friendly Watford shop (thanks John)
- 2 salon chairs, 2 foot rests, 2 trolleys, 3 stools
- 2 bags of hair products
- Endless giggles